Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Penang Char Koay Teow

Time to rekindle a favorite hometown dish of mine which is the ever well-known Char Koay Teow. This is a must have every time I make a trip back and my favorite is located at Bayan Baru actually. Most local tourists would most likely know the Sister's Char Koay Teow located at Macalister Road better due to the publicity but I find it too oily for my taste although the prawns they serve are truly gigantic to say the least.

I have tried in my numerous attempts to get it to taste as close as I can to the ones found in Penang but being slightly health conscious, I could not perfectly match it since I refuse to use lard cooking this dish. The good news is the following recipe which serves 5 person is still as tasty without going overboard. Hope you guys enjoy it!


Ingredients
250 gm Koay Teow (flat rice noodles)
150 gm Prawns - shelled
125 gm Bean SproutsBean Sprouts

5 stalks ChivesChives
- cut into 2cm lengths
100 gm Vegetable Oil
4 EggsEggs

2 Garlic ClovesGarlic Cloves
- chopped
2 tsp Ground ChiliGround Chili
(add more if you prefer it spicier)
2 tsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
10 gm Cooked Crab Meat
Pepper to taste


Directions
1] Heat oil, add garlic and fry till fragrant in a very hot wok.
2] Add prawns and ground chili.
3] Stir-fry for about 15 secs.
4] Add koay teow, soy sauce and additional oil if neccessary.
5] Mix in vegetables and beansprouts.
6] Push mixture to edge of wok, add a little oil in centre.
7] Add and fry the eggs and then mix everything together.
8] Garnish with pepper and cooked crab meat.
9] Serve immediately when its hot.

Note: From my experience it taste better if cooked individually. Also make sure to use sufficient oil so the koay teow do not stick to the wok.



Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment